Amazing Blueberry Muffins with Streusel Topping
My nephew, Marlin stayed with us last week. Everyday, he would ask if I could make blueberry muffins or chocolate chip cookies. I just couldn’t let him down—I want him to beg his mom to come back to our house for every school vacation. I want to be the auntie that spoils him rotten so I had to honor his every request.
The only problem with the muffins is that they didn’t make enough. We had three kids fighting over the last two muffins and while I was trying to figure out how to divy them up–Aaron sneaked in and took one before we could protest.
So, instead of splitting the last muffin into thirds–I ate it! You should have heard the cries. I don’t think they have forgiven me yet.
Blueberry Muffins with Streusel Topping | Adapted from Barbara Bakes
Makes (only) 12 muffins—so please, for the sake of the family, Double the Recipe.
Streusel Topping—Make this ahead of time so you don’t forget. This is the key for some amazing muffins.
3 Tablespoons of butter, softened
3 Tablespoons of brown sugar
1 Tablespoon of all purpose flour
Put together in a small bowl and use a fork to get the sugar and butter to clump up. You want little balls of butter and sugar here—not a whipped up mixture of the two. Use your fork to lightly toss until you get a crumbly texture.
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk
2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
1) Preheat oven, to 350 degrees. Prepare a muffin tin for twelve muffins. I used kitchen spray but you could use muffin liners as well. (Wanna make your own tulip liners? Hot Polka Dot shows you how —with some amazing photography. )
2) In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3) Add butter and eggs to a different bowl. Beat until fluffy. Add milk and vanilla.
4) Add the flour mixture until well incorporated.
5) Stir (by hand) 1 cup of fresh blueberries. Frozen may work as well but if you have fresh…use fresh.
6) Divide batter evenly into the muffin tin. Sprinkle with the streusel topping. Be generous….this is key to making some great tasting muffins!
7) Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8) Let cool in muffin tin for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.