We have a grapefruit tree in our backyard and each year it gives us more and more perfect fruits. The first year we lived here, we got one grapefruit. The next year, three. This year we have had about 15! I made grapefruit curd for Christmas gifts (win!) and attempted to make chocolate covered candied grapefruit (fail!). But, one of the most special and easiest things I have been making is broiled grapefruit.
This isn’t really much of a recipe but tastes spectacularly gourmet. Try to make it for someone you love.
- 2 grapefruits, halved and gently sectioned using a grapefruit spoon
- 2 Tablespoons of Turbinado Sugar (or brown sugar)
- Turn oven on broil.
- Prepare a flat baking sheet with foil paper (to make clean up easier).
- Cut grapefruit in half.
- Using grapefruit spoon or knife gently cut along the tough part of the fruit to loosen each section.
- Sprinkle the top with the sugar, generously.
- Place under the broiler for 5-7 minutes.
- Depending on how long you leave it under the broiler, the sugar will begin to caramelize. I was impatient and pulled these out early.
- Serve warm.
- Note: Once you finish eating, don't forget to squeeze out the juice. So good!