I saw this recipe on one of my favorite sites, Kevin and Amanda and was intrigued. It didn’t look particularly appetizing to me–there was no chocolate or chocolate chips or avocados. BUT–it got me to think about the Momofuku Crack Pie I had attempted to make during the early stages of this website. The pie was awesome but the photos were abysmal…..I actually submitted them to Tastespotting (a food porn site for those of you who don’t know) thinking that I had a chance. I would have loved to seen the face on whoever had to approve or deny that photo. I am sure it is on a wall somewhere in their office, labeled “The Worst Photo Ever Submitted“.
So, I saw the post on Kevin&Amanda, thought about crack pie, my horrible photo submission to Tastespotting and decided to make this cake in an attempt to see if my photo skills have improved. (They have.)
I also knew that Aaron would love this cake and although we are eating healthy around here this year, we don’t ever give up on sweets entirely. This was super, super simple and makes me wonder if it can be attempted with chocolate cake……That would be good right?
Happy New Year!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 stick butter (melted)
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 9X13 baking pan with spray or use parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the yellow cake mix, the melted butter and 1 egg until you get a thick dough.
- Press that into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Whip together the cream cheese, 2 eggs and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Pour on top of the yellow cake layer.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the top gets golden brown.
- Serve warm, cool or straight out of the fridge!