Chocolate Haupia Pie
Enough of these healthy recipes and the boring cleanse talk! I want some dessert! I want chocolate haupia pie!
Since I lived in Hawaii for such a long time and Aaron is from Hawaii, we make this staple Hawaiian pie all the time. It is so easy and so good. It impresses everyone at parties.
If you don’t know, haupia is a coconut pudding made with coconut milk, milk and cornstarch. It seems like it should be more complicated but it isn’t.
You start with this basic ingredients and then you end up with this work of art.
Or, a more edible version:
Let’s stop talking about this…..and just make it already! The recipe is below!
- 1 9 inch pie shell ( I like Keebler shortbread.)
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup sugar +2 Tablespoons (divided)
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 7 ounces chocolate chips
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- chocolate shavings, for garnish
- In a saucepan, whisk together coconut milk, milk, and 1 cup of sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cornstarch and water until dissolved.
- Once the coconut mixture comes to a low boil, reduce it to a simmer and add the cornstarch mixture.
- Slowly reheat, stirring the entire time, until it begins to thicken.
- Pour about half of the coconut mixture into a separate bowl and add the chocolate chips, stirring until completely melted.
- Pour this chocolate layer into the bottom of the pie pan.
- Tap the pan a couple of times on the counter to even out the chocolate layer.
- Pour the coconut layer on top and tap a couple of times on the counter to even it out.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Whipped Cream:
- Blend the heavy cream and the 2 Tablespoons of sugar together using an immersion blender or hand blender.
- Top evenly on the entire pie.
- Sprinkle with chocolate shavings and enjoy!