Halloween Cookies–Festive Slice and Bake Cookies
I am feeling lack a bit of a slacker since I haven’t made any holiday themed recipe yet this year. However, I do have these in my archives.
I made these years ago when my blog was a baby and I was still trying to get the feel for professional style photos etc. One thing that really appeals to me about these cookies is that they are so easy to make and they taste great. Simple butter cookies, rolled in festive sprinkles. Easily adapted for any holiday.
And, they require no eggs and can be stored up to 2 months. The perfect cookie!
- 2 cups of flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2½ sticks unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ cups of festive sprinkles (any type)
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and sugars in a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and whip until the consistency is kind of sandy. Add the vanilla.
- Split the dough into two portions.
- Add color and flavoring (if using) to one portion of dough.
- Roll out one portion of the dough in between two sheets of waxed paper. Set aside.
- Roll out second portion of the dough in between two sheets of waxed paper. **Try to get them about the same size but don't worry about it too much.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, but up to 3 days.
- When you are ready, remove from refrigerator. Carefully remove the wax paper from one side of one dough.
- Brush a bit of water on top on the bottom dough and place the 2nd portion of dough on top. (I kept the white dough on bottom and the orange on top.)
- At this point, you may need to trim and cut the dough so that both portions are about the same size.
- Slowly roll up the two portions of dough together.
- In a large shallow pan, pour out the sprinkles.
- Place the rolled dough in the sprinkles and roll until excessively covered.
- Wrap in wax paper and store in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours. Or, if you prefer, store in the freezer for up to two months.
- When you are ready to bake--preheat oven to 325 degrees and slice into thin (1/4 inch-1/2 inch).
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes.