I told you I have been experimenting with eating as a vegan a few weeks ago. Well, so far so good. I have lost a few pounds, feel great and am loving all of the food experimentation. Unfortunately, I have not been as avid with my camera these days…something is wrong with the focus and it is driving me nuts. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It’s enough to drive me (more) insane.
So, my recipe testing will need to continue and I’ll just have to perfect the great things I have been making: miso udon, taco salad, and those chocolate chip cookies I mentioned a few days ago. (The best!)
This experiment, the vegan peanut butter dream bars was a success.
I started with Oh She Glows recipe for vegan Twix…but modified them a bit. To me, these are nothing like a Twix but more like a salty sweet chocolate covered peanut butter rice crispy treat–pretty much a dream come true. Hence the name, peanut butter dream bars.
I prefer these cold…a little hard, right out of the fridge.
Vegan Peanut Butter Dream Bars
- For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cup rice krispies
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 4 Tbs Peanut Butter
- Pinch of salt
- For the filling:
- 1 1/2 cup dates
- 1 Tbs. peanut butter
- 2 Tbs. soy milk
- For the chocolate topping:
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper, laving some overhang.
- In a small saucepan, heat the agave, peanut butter and salt until it is nice and melty. Add the rice krispies and stir together well.
- Press the mixture onto the parchment, laying it down as evenly as possible.
- Now, mix up the date filling using a food processor. Process the dates, peanut butter and soy milk until it is a thick but spreadable consistency.
- Spread a thin layer of the date mixture on the rice krispie layer.
- In a small bowl, melt the chocolate with the coconut oil. Once it is melted, spread it on the date mixture.
- Let everything cool–actually I like mine straight from the fridge best.