Starting today, I am going to do a weekly post to kind of summarize what has been going on at Forty Cakes and to share some of the links I have bookmarked. This will help keep me organized and may expose you to something you hadn’t seen.
Without further ado, I bring you the weekly update……
On the Blog:
Myakka River State Park: The kids and I checked out this state park last weekend and saw a ton of alligators. Great place to visit if you are going to be in Southwest Florida.
Branch-n-Berry Cabins Review: My friend Kate and her boys loves these cabins in North Carolina and she was excited to write a guest post about them.
Sour-Cream Banana Bread: I got lucky when I had both ripe bananas and a little bit of sour cream at the same time.
In other news:
1) I went to the Food Blog Forum Orlando: The FBF is a one day seminar about food blogging including monetization, design and my favorite food photography and styling. The FBF was organized by Julie (The Little Kitchen), Dawn (Wicked Good Dinner), and Jaden (Steamy Kitchen). The best part was meeting a bunch of fellow Florida food bloggers. I had no idea there was such a community of folks nearby–people who understand the need to photograph each meal and who understand camera envy and who get excited when a new cookbook is published. They understand me.
2) One of the main things I learned at FBF was how important it is to use Twitter. So, I am trying. You can follow me @fortycakes. Another thing I learned is: I love Chuao Pod Firecracker chocolates–dark chocolate, chipotle, salt and popping candy. So amazing!
3) On Tuesday, I was irresponsible and took the kids to get Free Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream right after gymnastics practice and before dinner. We didn’t get dinner started until about 7:00 pm but it was a fun, impromptu thing to do and the perfect Tuesday night activity.
4) My friend Kellie led me though a biceps/triceps/shoulders workout this week. Ouch, I am still sore..but in a very good way. Can new muscles develop after one workout? I am pretty sure I can see something growing. I have some health and fitness posts in the works–maybe I can add that to the blog soon.
5) I decided to go to Blog Her’11 this August. If you are going, let me know. I can’t wait to meet more fellow bloggers.
Links I bookmarked:
Roasted Strawberries with Greek Yogurt by Two Peas and Thier Pod: I love greek yogurt and after my experience with the mixed berry muffins realize I love the taste of cooked strawberries. I am making this for dessert tonight.
Squash and Green Beans in Coconut Milk by Ivory Hut: I love all the ingredients and cooking Filipino food will help me prepare for my vacation to the Philippines very soon.
Arugula, Fennel and Orange Salad by Leite’s Culinaria: My arugula is growing out of control and this sounds like a good use for it.
This weekend, I’ve got lots to do–including a couple of intense workouts (gotta get ready for my soon vacation to Hawaii), baking (going to try out some KerryGold products using some coupons I got), and tons of kids activities.
Hope you have a great weekend,