Paleo Breakfast Cupcakes
I toured Bailey Farms, a local pepper farm located in Southwest Florida and during the tour they let me pick some of these little peppers–Bellafina Peppers to take home and play with. The peppers themselves have been developed over 12 years—using cross breeding techniques. They scientists were trying to create a small pepper, in yellow, orange and red, that would grow outside in Florida and North Carolina. They also wanted them to be “cute” and have great flavor. After a lot of research and failed attempts, they came up with the Bellafina Peppers.
Lucky for me, it didn’t take failed attempts to come up with a recipe using the peppers. I knew I wanted to make something that would be low carb and friendly to those attempting to “eat- clean” (I am trying, I really am.)
I decided on these Paleo Breakfast Cupcakes–a great grab and go breakfast or snack–loaded with peppers and kale for great color and nutrients. I used kale grown down the street, local eggs purchased at Jessica’s Organic Farm, and the locally grown Bellafina Peppers from Bailey Farms. I added a bit of smoked gouda and some local milk (DaKin Dairy).
I was pretty pleased with my local delight.
High in protein. Low in carbs and fat–but full of support for local farms and farmers!
- 6 eggs
- 2 Bellafina peppers, red, orange or yellow-your choice
- 1 leaf of kale
- ⅛ cup gouda cheese** (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare muffin pan using cupcakes liners.
- 2) Dice peppers and kale into tiny pieces.
- 3) Finely grate the cheese.
- 4) Whisk the eggs and milk together for about 2 minutes. You want to add a lot of air to the eggs.
- 5) Add the kale, peppers and cheese. Whisk a couple of times to ensure it is well mixed.
- 6) Pour about ⅓ cup of the egg mixture into each baking cup.
- 7) Bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold!
- These keep in a plastic bag in the refrigerator and are a great snack for on the go!
I was provided a complimentary gift card to offset the ingredient costs for this recipe. No other compensation was received. All opinions expressed are my own.