Paleo Chicken Tortilla Soup
I have had this on our family menu for the past two weeks and it just kept getting put off. The first week, I didn’t have any chicken broth and didn’t want to go to the store. The next week, we decided to just eat out instead after a beach evening (Surf Shack on Lido Key and then Ben and Jerry’s for dessert).
I finally made it on Monday night and realized that this really needs to be on the constant rotation. It is so warm and comforting, yet filling and adaptable.
It keeps well! I made it on Monday and am eating the last little bit of it for my office lunch on Thursday.
It offers a ton of different veggies and as a family we are trying to make sure we get at least six a day!
Another great thing is the recipe is super versatile and can be easily modified for various restrictions. You can easily make it suit vegans, vegetarians, Paleo and the Whole 30 plans. I included notes in the recipe below to make these variations.
Not to mention, this is the easiest thing to throw together on a weekday evening. A little shredded chicken (make this ahead and freeze it!), can of beans, frozen corn, chicken broth, tortillas and some peppers and onions. You can have it on the table in about an hour.
I always put out a little platter of avocados, cilantro and sour cream for everyone to top their own.
Hope you enjoy it!
- For the Soup:
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 can of black beans
- 4-6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ yellow pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups of frozen corn kernel, optional
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 28 ounce can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can green chile peppers, diced
- Avocado Slices
- Diced Onion
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- For shredded chicken, you can follow these instructions (video to come soon) or boil chicken breasts in salted water for about 20 minutes. Shred with forks and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat up the olive oil and toss in the onions, allowing to saute for about 1 minute. Add the peppers and spices and stir together. Cook for about 2 minutes and then add the shredded chicken. Stir well so that the chicken gets all nice and spicy.
- Pour in the can of tomatoes, the diced chile peppers, chicken broth and can of beans. If you need more liquid to cover the soup completely, add water. You want about an inch of liquid covering the soup goodies.
- Simmer for about 30-45 minutes, uncovered. At about 30 minutes, check seasonings and add more salt or chili powder to taste. Also, add corn kernels (if using).
- While the soup is simmering, prepare your toppings.
- About five minutes before serving, stir in the tortilla strips.
- Serve hot with lots of toppings.
Paleo Plan: Forget the corn, black beans, and the corn tortilla. Instead, use 3 cups of shredded chicken, add additional spices and top with onion, avocado and cilantro.
Doing a Whole 30? Forget the corn, black beans, and the corn tortilla. Instead, use 3 cups of shredded chicken, add additional spices and top with onion, avocado and cilantro.
Vegetarian Version: Instead of chicken, add more peppers, and onions to the mix. Use veggie broth and add an additional can of beans. You may want to add a few more corn tortilla slices as well. Top with all of the listed toppings.
Vegan Option: Instead of chicken, add more peppers, and onions to the mix. Use veggie broth and add an additional can of beans. You may want to add a few more corn tortilla slices as well. Top with avocado, cilantro and onion.