Paleo Chocolate Cherry Treats
This recipe for chocolate cherry treats has been satisfying my sweet tooth while doing the Whole 30.
As you can probably tell if you have been reading this blog for any length of time, I don’t prescribe to any sort of special diet. I have recipes that are vegan, gluten free, paleo and even recipes that are full of fat, full sugar, full of crazy bad things. I have recipes just for carinvores and recipes for vegetarians. Just an odd mix–because I love cooking and I love feeding people.
Lately, I have been keenly aware of how much junk food my kids have been eating. It is the end of the school year and there seems to be a pizza/ice cream/root beer float party every day. I feel the need to detox the whole family.
I saw a chocolate-y, cherry Paleo recipe somewhere (I really wish I would have made a note of it) and it gave me an idea. I could make a Paleo version of my mom’s famous Oaties! We ate Oaties weekly as kids. I think it was because they were cheap and easy. It didn’t matter to us….we just loved opening the fridge to pull out the yummy treats.
Instead of oats, I used almonds. Instead of sugar, I used dried cherries. The chocolate is cocoa and coconut oil. And, the combination is perfect. Sweet, crunchy and a little bit indulgent.
Try them and let me know what you think!
- 1 ½ cup milk of choice (I usually use unsweetened almond milk)
- 1-2 Tablespoons sweetener of choice (honey, maple syrup, agave), to taste
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of toppings (berries, nuts, apples...)
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the milk, sweetener and vanilla. Add the chia seeds and stir gently. You want to make sure that all of the seeds are exposed to the liquid.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to chill for about 12 hours.
- Mix-Ins: I like to add blueberries, almond slivers, raspberries, blackberries, walnuts, granola. I add about 1 cup of berries to the chilling pudding about halfway through the chill time. You could wait until the end and just add it then as well.
- There are just so many options with this healthy recipe! Enjoy!