Most people love the chocolate peanut butter combination. I don’t. I don’t love cheesecake either. Nor will I eat pasta very often. Especially if it is coated with Alfredo sauce. For a long time, I thought ice cream was horrible. I am over my ice cream hatred.
Sometimes I try to watch what I eat. But, during these times if I am not able to bake, I feel a little lost. Cooking, especially desserts is a relaxing thing for me. SO–in an effort to stick to whatever diet plan I may be on, I make desserts that don’t tempt me—stuff that I know I won’t eat.
Enter: chocolate peanut butter bars. The kids love ‘em. Aaron loves them too. And, my brother, who is staying with us–well, we have to hide things from him.
I saw the recipe for these chocolate peanut butter cups over on Brown-eyed Baker’s site and wanted to make them—but making individual candies just seemed like it would take an awful lot of time. These chocolate peanut butter bars solved that issue. Very simple to make, and judging from how fast they disappeared–tasty too!
I made a couple of modifications from Michelle’s recipe.
1) Since I always love that sweet/salty/crunchy combination AND I had a box of Wheat Thins on hand–I put a layer of them on the top of the peanut butter layer.
2) Instead of a layer of chocolate on the top, I put the chocolate on the bottom and drizzled a bit of chocolate across the cracker layer. (As you can tell from the photos, sometimes I have issues with my drizzling.)
3) And, like always, I used bittersweet chocolate instead of milk. You should use what you like the best.
Peanut Butter Cup Cracker Bars
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup chocolate chips, bittersweet or semi-sweet
- 16-20 Wheat Thin crackers
- Prepare your pan: Lay a piece of foil in the bottom of an 8x8 pan allowing some foil to hang off the sides. Put a little butter on the foil to keep the bars from sticking. Or, if you have some non-stick cooking spray--use that.
- In a medium sized bowl, melt ½ cup of butter. Once melted, remove from heat and stir in the powdered sugar until smooth. Stir in the peanut butter and graham cracker crumbs until completely combined and smooth. Set the mixture aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the ¼ cup unsalted butter. Add the chocolate and stir until almost completely melted. Remove from heat and continue stirring until completely melted. Pour the most of the chocolate evenly onto the foil ---you are creating the base of the bars. Be sure to save some chocolate for drizzle.
- Gently put the peanut butter mixture on top of the chocolate. Smooth it around until it is even.
- Place the Wheat Thin crackers on top of the peanut butter layer. I kept mine even, planning that each cracker piece would be about one serving size.
- For the final step, drizzle the remaining chocolate over the cracker layer. Try to make it prettier than my version.
- Let cool in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes.