Protien Packed Massaged Kale Salad
My sister is the weirdest cook ever. She digs through cupboards and drawers and pulls out the most random seeming things. She combines whatever she finds and always end up making something that may not look beautiful but is always tasty.
While I was at work the other day, she found some old apples, a bunch of kale, garlic, walnuts, and cranberries from Christmas. Using her resourcefulness and a soecial kind of magic-she created this amazing salad.
This salad is full of power foods: kale, walnuts, quinoa, apples, cranberries, olive oil, honey. You can actually feel yourself getting healthier with each bite. And, you want to keep eating it because it tastes great. Its the perfect combination of sweet and savory, crunchy and tender.
We served it as a side with dinner of beans and rice and I took a big bowl of it to work the next day. Suggest topping it with goat cheese to add one more level of flavor.
- 5 cup kale, destemmed and chopped
- 1½ cup quinoa
- ½ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 apple
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tablespoon balsalmic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions. Let cool completely. We used red quinoa but any variety would work.
- Prepare vinaigrette. Whisk together the olive oil, juice from the lime, garlic and the honey. Set aside while you prepare the salad.
- Put kale in a large bowl and pour vinaigrette over. Massage into the kale for about five minutes. The size of the kale will decrease significantly and you should be able to feel the kale becoming more tender.
- After the massage, add in the quinoa. Toss together with the kale.
- Once those are well combined, toss in the walnuts, cranberries and chopped apples.
- It would be great served with goat cheese or some other kind of cheese but was excellent without it as well.