Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
I started this website about two and half years ago with the goal of baking 40 Cakes in 40 days. That did not happen. But, I did start to cook, read about food, learn about blogging, develop two new websites, worked on numerous campaigns with brands, went to a few blogger conferences and made some bloggy friends. That seems pretty good for just focusing on the site for a few hours a week.
Sometimes I look at my site stats and wonder, how can I get more page views? Or, why don’t I get more comments–but then I realize I am happy with where I am. The site is growing everyday. I am reaching out to people on an individual basis rather than en masse. Honestly, I have considered buying Twitter friends, but that just doesn’t feel right, you know?
Anyway, this post is supposed to be about vegan chocolate chip cookies bars. How did I get so sidetracked? Oh well!
I made vegan cookies for my students this week. We are talking about food diversity and the fact that a vegan diet is considered one of the best things a person can do for the health of the planet as well as their own bodies. I am not vegan (although I am while doing the Crazy Sexy Cleanse) but always like to experiment with vegan recipes. I was vegan for four years in college so I know that vegan food
is can be just as good as non-vegan food.
These cookies are not good for you…but they are good. Throw a handful of chia seed or flax seeds in for an extra boost of protein and omega-3’s.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 stick vegan butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoon Ener-G Egg Replacer
- 4 tablespoon Water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoon chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line an 9x 13 baking dish with parchment paper. Leave some hanging over the sides for easy removal.
- In a medium sized bowl (or a large measuring cup), mix together all of the dry ingredients.
- Using a mixer, whisk the butter until nice and smooth. Add sugars and continue to blend together on a medium-high speed. You want this nice and fluffy.
- While the vegan butter is blending away, mix up the egg replacer in a small bowl. 2 tsp of Ener-G and 4 Tablespoons of water. Stir very well.
- Add the egg replacer mixture to the butter/sugar mix.
- Turn the mixer down and slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet.
- Once well incorporated, add the vanilla.
- Finally, add the chocolate chips and chia seeds (if using).
- Plop the mixture onto the parchment paper and spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. I like to pull it out around 30 minutes so they are nice and chewy.